I thought about the work that I have done so far since last semester to now. Although my work is varied, and seemingly un connected I feel like there has been an underlying thread this whole time. I started by thinking about design psychology and over time that initial thought has changed and evolved into becoming something different. From exploring random objects, to focusing on sequences, to how a simple object can be interpreted or used for something besides its innate function, a couple of things have remained a constant over this time. I have explored color, using vibrant and bold color combinations throughout most of my work, which was initially done to get me out of my own comfort zone, but also to challenge the notion that things had to be a certain color to represent something.
From a more rooted perspective however, I have been trying to give the objects I've been working with meaning, and tie meaning to the thoughts and conclusions I have made through the continued use of one object. A little while back I categorized the spoon as a means of measurement, privilege, and nourishment, since then I have been trying to connect back to those categorizations, mainly nourishment.
Earlier in the week I was feeling stuck, and experimented within nourishment using simple shapes and colors to try and convey a feeling of a certain type of nourishment that we as humans need. I didn't have quite a clear connection back to the original type of nourishment, but I did have a connection to how I felt about the pieces and the colors I used in order to try and convey what I had originally intended.
I plan on doing the same experiments for the remaining sections of nourishment, like I have done for kindness, which is often associated with light blues, purples, warm yellows, and pinks, as well as circles for their round and uniform shape, and triangles as each side relies on another for its structural integrity. I think that in trying to make a connection to nourishment to connect my work and give it meaning, I have found another device in which to tie my pieces together. If I maintain a strong use of color, tying it to color theory in these later parts, as well as write about how simple shapes and color are related to each other in the sense of a broader theme, I can connect not only the work I continue to do but have already done.



No comments:
Post a Comment