I work in the restaurant industry, and like most point-of-sale positions, receipts are a frequent part of regular transactions. Receipt paper is difficult to recycle due to the compounds of the heat-activated BPA plastic in the paper. Although they're not meant to be archival, sure you could keep them for a while, but they're meant to be thrown away. The receipt itself could be thought of as a symbol of industrial interdependence, frivolity, and resource consumption. I'm sure there's more.
I was interested in the precise ink-less printing of type on this paper. What if it wasn't so precise? What if the information was obscured. What kind of art can I make with this technology?
By holding the paper over a heat source I was able to create this burnt-paper effect. By collaging the blank receipt paper, I was working solely with an aesthetic. Going forward I have pre-printed receipts to burn for a more object-specific resonance in the next renditions of this experiement.
The heat/fire marks on the paper feel like a form of violence.
This format is just a happening of the experiment, and not necessarily what every collage going forward will appear as. The arrays are changeable, I have a frame to play around with, and the background is to be determined.
No comments:
Post a Comment