I have been continuing to research for this project. I spent some time writing down some popular aesthetics and topics used in each era. I wrote down some possible topics for sub-pages outside of the basic timeline that would allow me to go further into some sub-genres of internet culture. I also took note of the lifespans of some popular websites, I will look further into their peaks, especially for some sites that have had major changes over the years. I started to format the 1995–2000 web page a bit and did some research into finding gifs that were archived from Geocities. Here is the webpage preview link.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
-
I began experimenting with using phrases gathered through word and image association tests, applying their nonsensical logic to concrete poe...
-
PDF containing all 54 AI sign hybrid solutions: 1/30 All AI Sign Hybrids New signs, same process. Y'all know the drill. My plan for nex...
-
I collected more samples of spoons drawn from memory. Looking at them all together they all seemed to have some relative similarities in ho...




I wonder, apart from appearance, how earlier websites/platforms differed from current ones, content-wise.
ReplyDeletewhat did people post? has instagram and other platforms taken up much (or some? or all?) of that kind of content?
do people still have their own websites? hand-built HTML/CSS ?
or home-made websites as an adjunct to social media? or social media as an adjunct to those home-made websites?
if you were building your own website today (and maybe you have done, I don't know) what would be on it?
would it simply be a "portfolio" site, or would you use it as a vehicle for other kinds of obsessions (collections, personal poetry, etc etc).
if you were to build a website today, could you build it in the "style" of websites ca 1990... 2000... 2010... 2015...
I guess I'm more interested in content than presentation, or maybe using content as a way of getting at presentation... or perhaps presentation in the service of (or even working against ! ) the content.