Monday, October 28, 2024

Idiom Poster Collages

Using the idioms I have been working with I started to explore photo fragmentation and collage. I had fun trying to visualize the absurd language and logic of the idioms.

Below are “Out to Lunch” and “Hit the Books”. I want to create a poster series using all 5 of the idiom collages. Also possibly incorporating the concrete poetry I made for these idioms as well.

I feel like these collages relate back to my exploration in intuition while incorporating this path of language that I have been on. I am interested in the deviation of language and how these types of provincialism are intuitively understood to cultures of certain regions.

Some quotes from readings that I’ve been thinking about

“Willfully taking a apart what is or what's supposed to be and rearranges it in a ways that suggests what could be” - Lucy Lippard

“This structure (grid), impervious both to time and to incident, will not permit the projection of language into the domain of the visual, and the result is silence. And the grid facilitated this sense of being born into the newly evacuated space of aesthetic purity and freedom” - Rosalind Krauss




2 comments: