Thursday, October 17, 2024

Finding the meaning in the spoon



For I have known them all already, known them all—
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
So how should I presume?
Beneath the music from a farther room.

T.S Eliot

Spades take up leaves
No better than spoons,
And bags full of leaves
Are light as balloons.

Robert Frost

Do you hear that? All the things
I meant to do are burnt spoons
hanging from the porch like chimes,
Do you have some wind? Just a hit

William Brewer

the Big Dipper is nothing but
the oldest spoon pointing us home

Jim Minick

As it is used to serve out mashed potatoes or a warm casserole over a big holiday dinner, the silver spoon is once more quietly interwoven with fond memories of conversation and laughter among loved ones. Even with strangers, after sharing serving spoons and a meal together, we may no longer consider one another as mere strangers. Such are the convivial possibilities that may be generated by a spoon.

In In order to give the spoon meaning in my work I had to find the meaning, meaning other people over time have given the spoon. I have established that the spoon tends to mean one of three things, nourishment, privilege, or measurement. In my research to find meaning I found that these labels aren't so cut and dry, and have sub sections and overlap from time to time. Like memory for instance, pleasant memories can be a thing of nourishment and of privilege. Some spoons are guides (the big dipper), some spoons are a sign of how far you've come, but can also be a measure of short comings, or disease taking over, whether that be addiction or a physical sickness. Spoons are a tool that have meaning to almost everyone, even if it spoons simply act as a delivery devise for your ice cream from bowl to mouth, and I think I was able to recognize that based on how much there is even just written about spoons.

I had a little fun experimenting with the spoon beyond the second dimension. I was also trying to find meaning in what I was doing as I was doing it, and I realized that I was creating images of a spoon on an object that gets spooned out when carved, and with these specific pumpkins the spoon is again used to incorporated the contents with other ingredients when making a dish.






i   



t



No comments:

Post a Comment