Wednesday, March 26, 2025

Visual Ethos

 Thinking on "Mind and Medium" and the power of Stimuli in the way we advertise.

"Mind and Medium" suggests that the design world has a Yin and a Yang, which are above-ground design, and underground design: "Above-ground" being that which is official, commercial, trustworthy, and of high quality, and "Underground" being messy, risky, experimental, and cheap. You'll notice these key differences in the design ethos from art for activism versus art in propaganda. When making art for propaganda's sake, you want to use visual ethos to exploit an audience's idea of a trustworthy source. Where Stimuli comes into play is what I find interesting. Stimuli refers to the activation of a sense


"Material and Mind" is another source I was looking at, and some ideas interested me, including: 

-an individual's agency being enabled (or disabled) by the presence (or lack thereof) of objects and materials,

-the mind's ability to extend beyond itself, as if it does not inhabit its vessel yet becomes a vessel in its own right, 

-and to envision the un-material (the abstract), including but not limited to: imagination, projection, and mathematics.


With these in mind, I wanted to adapt evidence of materials I had documented and gathered to create different types of stimulating imagery that marries Yin and Yang Design to talk about the presence of objects that are a result of a variety of "consumption" and how they affect our thoughts.

These could turn into posters, but I wouldn't mind using them as spreads in a zine.









No comments:

Post a Comment