I've been sort of thinking about the meaning of being a "producer" (in the dichotomy of producer and consumer relationships) and its connection to legacy. Revisiting Jenny Odell's book How to Do Nothing, I was intrigued by the thought process behind how a person values themselves. Odell explains that in our current day and age, countless people are operating on the basis that their worth is tied directly to how "productive" they are; so they follow suit by constantly trying to "optimize" their lives.
Here is a common experience/ philosophy that I have been thinking about (which is ~some~ inspiration for this title and concept) :
"If I my value is so heavily dependent on my productivity, then I open myself to the reality of feeling guilty in my time of rest. In the vortex if guilt caused by not working more, I am not resting my mind and soul in the way that nourishes me to perform well when I do return to my 'productive state'. And so, the cycle may continue."
So, this sort of thinking creates anxious impressions in the mind; the feeling of pressure and its accumulation. I was thinking about what a physical manifestation of this would look like: Overarching, swallowing, and countlessness.
So, I'm planning a sort of sculptural installation using panels full of fragmented receipt collages (more like arrays).
The receipt acts as the vessel of transaction: a record of time or resources we've traded for something else, whether. that be experience, comfort, convenience, necessities, etcetera.
No comments:
Post a Comment