I was a little stuck with my first experiments regarding the French letter so I decided to choose another object (a wooden barstool) and make a couple of designs with that as my subject. I went into with the mentality of displaying the object in a relatively simplistic way, while also not showing the stool in its entirety. I then wanted to create a scale of designs, varying the complexity, and the clarity of the design, while also using different color pallets.
I then sampled a small population (5 people) two of whom are not artists, and 3 of whom are, but aren't designers. Two people said they preferred the third design with the purple and the orange. One said they preferred that one because of the color palette, as they were drawn to the vibrant colors and contrast between the oranges and pinks, and the other person said they enjoyed the structure the piece had with the stacking of the stools, along with liking the color combinations. Another said they didn't like the blue and green one, because of the purple center piece, and the way the stools were floating around the page. Of the artists I asked, one preferred the orange one due to the simplicity and abstraction of the object. Another enjoyed the one with the pink type running down the sides. They reported being drawn to that one because of the layering and the abstraction of the object both visually and textually. The last person I asked liked the one that the other person said explicitly they did not like, and for all of the reasons it was disliked by the first person, it was liked by the last person. specifically, they really enjoyed the purple stool in the center with the text.
Despite this being a small sampling of people I feel like it is still providing useful insight into the workings of people's minds. Of the three artists I asked, none of them had the same answer, yet the other two people I asked preferred the same one for similar reasons.
No comments:
Post a Comment